[mrtg] Re: mrtg & rrdtool & max values

Rainer Bawidamann Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de
Mon Nov 20 19:11:17 MET 2000

In article <200011201744.eAKHiDK28821 at rotta.tmt.tele.fi>,
	odie at rotta.tmt.tele.fi writes:

>> > Can I somehow store the measured maximum values instead of the
>> > averaged ones?
>> MRTG measures averages, i.e. it measures how much data was received/sent
>> by an interface during a 5 minute interval. This gives an average
>> traffic rate. The MAX RRAs will store the maximum of the 5-minute
>> averages (for a longer time period).
>
> Yeah, but can I store these maximum of 5 minute  averages for long periods
> of time?

You don't get the maximum for a 5 minute period. You get only one value
for each interval: the average traffic rate. The yearly graph will show
you one pixel per day, i.e. the average over one day. With the
"withpeak" option mrtg additionally shows the maximum of the "5 minute
average" values of this day, i.e. the maximum of the 288 measured "5
minute average" values.

If you look at network traffic there is no such thing as a "maximum traffic
rate". You just can get averages for an interval.

Or: If you look at a network, at its current bandwith usage - you will
see either a used network or an unused network: 100% or 0% - a
transmission is active or no transmission is active. So the maximum
traffic rate of a 10 Mb/s network in a 5 minute interval is 10 Mb/s.

Or how do you want to measure 5 minute peak values?

> When I want to display "Yearly" graph with peak values it would
> show me 5 minute peak values instead of 5 minute peak values averaged for
> 30minutes.

There are no 5 minute peak values. There are 5 minute average values.
And then there are "30 minute average values" and the "maximum of the 5
minute average values of 30 minutes" and so on.

Rainer
Rainer.Bawidamann at rz.uni-ulm.de