[mrtg] Re: How do I just monitor working hours?

Daniel R . Kilbourne drk at voyager.net
Thu Nov 23 04:07:25 MET 2000

Jim Hunt extolled:

> If you would consider running MRTG on a Windows NT Box, you could use the
> Windows Scheduler to run MRTG when you want.

But, unless I am completely wrong here, the averages displayed would still
be based on 24 hours, therefore useless.

Now, I want to make sure that the original problem is correctly understood.

Chris said "All they want to see is the monthly average per interface."

but followed it up with  So, what I need help with is there any way to use
MRTG to calculate the average network utilization only between 6:00 AM and
4:00PM?"

Now, the first part is easy - just show them the monthly graphs.

The second part simply cannot be done with MRTG - it is outside of the scope
of MRTG. If all they want is the actual 'graph' portion, then sure - run it
as a NT service or CRON it correctly in UNIX/Linux and show them the pretty
green hills. But, if they want the actual reported data (which IMHO is what
 really matters), using mrtg alone
is no good.

Again, rrdtool is necessary - and learning to use it will also allow for you
to implement it along with your mrtg setup - which is a great thing to do.

Or, *ahem*, teach your "senior executives" to read a fscking graph!   :)

--
Daniel R. Kilbourne
daniel.kilbourne at voyager.net
Network Engineering