[mrtg] primary/backup log files... populating graph

Erol Asim esasim at julian.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 29 05:32:34 MET 2000

I have two problems locating solutions for; they maybe related. The first
concerns warning messages being displayed when running mrtg. I tried
locating 'r.old' and 'r.log' to maybe have get a clue concerning the warning
messages, but was unsuccessful. Where are these files typically located?
It's not in the working directory or where my configure file is located. Why
am I getting these warnings? Am I missing a setting in my configuration
file? Below is an illustration of the warnings.

bash# ./mrtg /scate/home/esasim/mrtg.cfg
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup could not read the
primary log file for r
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup The backup log file
for r was invalid as well
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup Can't remove r.old
updating log file
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup Can't rename r.log to
r.old updating log file

The second problem concerns the html file created by mrtg. The graphs aren't
populated. I know the router I'm polling has traffic, so it should produce
results. MRTG creates day/week/month/year png files, but the html doesn't
have the graphs populated. What can I be doing wrong?

I'm using MRTG 2.9.4 on a LINUX box (Red Hat OS w/ kernel v2.0.34 ).

Erol Asim

  Actually, I don't remember being born. It must have happened during one of
my black outs.
  -Jim Morrison, The Doors