[mrtg] Re: running mrtg against multiple devices from one .cfg fi le

Rippe, Mark (CCI-Warwick) Mark.Rippe at cox.com
Wed Nov 29 15:49:35 MET 2000

i'm sure that there are more ways to do this but;
both method-1 and method-2 have worked for me. i currently use method-2
because my systems are constantly changing. i find small .cfg files easier
to manage.

method-1

use this command line to append devices to the mrtg.cfg file

      ./cfgmaker ( options, device, etc )  >>mrtg.cfg < or whatever your
.cfg file is named

============

method-2

make a file called run_mrtg.sh
see sample below

---- snip ----

#! /bin/sh

cd /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/bin

./mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/www/system1.cfg # list all of your .cfg files
here
./mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/www/system2.cfg
./mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/www/system3.cfg
./mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/www/system4.cfg
./mrtg /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/www/system5.cfg

---- snip ----

then

The crontab entry for five min intervals is:

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * *
/usr/local/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/run_mrtg.sh

mark.rippe at cox.com

"The ships hung in the sky in
much the same way that bricks don't"