[mrtg] Re: primary/backup log files... populating graph

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Wed Nov 29 19:24:52 MET 2000

I haven't seen this show up on the list yet, so I'll answer at least the
first part...

The errors you are seeing are normal if it is the first time you are
running mrtg.  You'll also get another set of errors the second
time you run it because the .old files haven't been created.
You can look for them in the directory you specified in the cfg
file as your WorkDir.  If you didn't specify, I don't think mrtg
will run anyway.  If you still can't find them (and it looks like
you are running some variant of linux) then just type

find -name 'r.log' -print

from the root (/) directory and you'll get a list of all the directories
it found the file r.log in.

Now as for the second issue...

Are the graphs there just blank?  It may be related to the first problem
in that you haven't given mrtg enough time to collect stats.  If there
is a little x in your browser where the graph should be, then there's
a problem with the link.

Let us know,
Paul

>>> "Erol Asim" <esasim at julian.uwo.ca> 11/28/00 11:32PM >>>
I have two problems locating solutions for; they maybe related. The first
concerns warning messages being displayed when running mrtg. I tried
locating 'r.old' and 'r.log' to maybe have get a clue concerning the warning
messages, but was unsuccessful. Where are these files typically located?
It's not in the working directory or where my configure file is located. Why
am I getting these warnings? Am I missing a setting in my configuration
file? Below is an illustration of the warnings.

bash# ./mrtg /scate/home/esasim/mrtg.cfg
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup could not read the
primary log file for r
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup The backup log file
for r was invalid as well
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup Can't remove r.old
updating log file
Rateup WARNING: /scate/local/src/mrtg-2.9.4/bin/rateup Can't rename r.log to
r.old updating log file

The second problem concerns the html file created by mrtg. The graphs aren't
populated. I know the router I'm polling has traffic, so it should produce
results. MRTG creates day/week/month/year png files, but the html doesn't
have the graphs populated. What can I be doing wrong?

I'm using MRTG 2.9.4 on a LINUX box (Red Hat OS w/ kernel v2.0.34 ).

Erol Asim

  Actually, I don't remember being born. It must have happened during one of
my black outs.
  -Jim Morrison, The Doors