[mrtg] MRTG Documentation (was: List abuse)

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 3 19:10:38 MEST 2000

>if you have any more detailed information on what you found easy
>and which bits you had difficulties understanding, I might be able
>to do something about it. Even better would be some contributed
>documentation. It is difficult for me to anticipate which elements
>of MRTG are difficult to users and which are not difficult ...
>
>tobi

What I found easy were the instructions on how to install MRTG. It is
clearly written to do this, then do this, then do this, etc. Getting it up
and running went well.

I guess, maybe, the problem it was too well written. What I mean is that is
where the hand-holding abruptly ended. Once one has it up and running, there
was no guidance as to 1) how to determine what I want to report on and 2)
how to look at those various things. I know I am supposed to be smart enough
to figure this out for myself, but I got lazy with all the hand-holding I
had up to that point.

>From there, I would say it would be nice to have documented:
- here are things you can monitor on routers (and examples of course)
- here are things you can monitor on servers
- this is how people monitor frame relay links
- here are things you can monitor on coffee makers (just kidding) [but it
could be argued that they are as important as any piece of equipment in any
IT shop as the file server. When will Wearever make a SNMP manageable coffee
pot? I digress..]
- here is how you can structure your configs to separate things so that they
look organized

I know that a bunch of this has already been done. It is just hard to find
what I'm looking for.

I guess another part of the problem is that there is too much documentation.
The MRTG Users web page
(http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/users.html) list tons of
applications of MRTG.

Maybe what is needed is what Cisco calls a Master Index. (See
http://cco.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/120mindx/index.htm
) This is a index of key words and links to different documents, web pages,
etc. Anyway, just an idea.

Patrick
----
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?