[mrtg] SNMPd

Darryl Ross dross at syc.asn.au
Fri Oct 6 06:20:02 MEST 2000

Hey All,

Trying to work out why the utilization reported by MRTG seems to be wrong.
I'm wondering if it would be the snmp daemon that I am using? The one that
comes with RedHat 6. I've upgraded it to the one with RedHat 6.2 and it's
gave an error about the name not existing (see below).

ucd-snmpd-3.6.1-4 (RedHat 6.0 - works  but reports wrong figures)
ucd-snmpd-4.1.1 (RedHat 6.2 - doesn't work at all)
ucd-snmpd-4.1.1-4mdk  (Mandrake 7.1 - works but reports wrong figures)

I've tried setting MRTG to both version 1 and version 2 and it gives a
different error message. The error message that ucd-snmpd-4.1.1 using
version 1 gives is:

SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "192.168.10.1" [192.168.10.1].161
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 1034856817
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.2 ifOutOctets.2 sysUptime sysName on
public at 192.168.10.1

The error message using version 2 is:

Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.0/bin/rateup found adsl-gw__ppp0's log
file was corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 970805645.Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.0/bin/rateup could not
read the primary log file for adsl-gw__ppp0
Rateup ERROR: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.0/bin/rateup found adsl-gw__ppp0's log
file was corrupt
          or not in sorted order:
time: 970805550.Rateup WARNING: /usr/local/mrtg-2.9.0/bin/rateup The backup
log file for adsl-gw__ppp0 was invalid as well
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'adsl-gw__ppp0'
 Signal was 0, Returncode was 1

Looking at the top of the log file it has:

970805550 #<unprintable BER type 0x81> #<unprintable BER type 0x81>
970805550 0 0 0 0
970805100 0 0 0 0
970804800 0 0 0 0
970804500 0 0 0 0
970804200 0 0 0 0
970803900 0 0 0 0
970803600 0 0 0 0
970803300 0 0 0 0
970803000 0 0 0 0

The .old file also has #<unprintable BER type 0x81> #<unprintable BER type
0x81> in the first line. I've tried deleting the log file and the backup
log file and rerunning it but it still gets created corrupted.

I'm not having much luck here, so I was wondering what snmp daemons other
people use under Linux. I have a variety of machines, both 486, Pentium and
Celeron class running RedHat 6.0 or Mandrake 7.0.

TIA,
DR

--

Darryl Ross