[mrtg] MRTG and Redhat: NoSuchName errors

Nicholas Ritter ritter at lfc.edu
Sat Oct 7 20:51:31 MEST 2000

Although to some extent this message may be better placed in a redhat forum, I figure I would ask all of you just in case I am doing something stupid.

I have a RedHat Linux 6.2 system (512MB RAM, dual PII 400Mhz cpus) that I want to monitor with MRTG (I am currently using 2.9.0pre29). I installed the ucd-snmp RPMs and when I query the box with cfgmaker via a seperate MRTG box, I get dozens of noSuchName errors. I know what the error is, but I have never run into a Redhat system with RPM installed SNMP that didn't work out of the box (much less with MRTG.) I have MRTG working wonderfully for quite some time now, monitoring everything from True64 boxes, to Cisco and Intel network hardware.

I am not a big fan of UCD-SNMP because I have never been able to figure it out, much less gotten it to work right. Does anyone have an RedHat specific SNMP suggestions/resources that I can refer to as far as configuration is conerned? In the long run I want to monitor network bandwidth, cpu load, DHCP leases, and DNS queries through my RedHat 6.2 boxes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Nicholas Ritter
Network Administrator, LFC