[mrtg] Re: PNG instead of GIF

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Tue Oct 10 13:36:11 MEST 2000

>From http://www.boutell.com/gd/

HEY! READ THIS! gd 1.8.3 creates PNG, JPEG and WBMP images, not GIF images.
This is a good thing. PNG is a
more compact format, and full compression is available. JPEG works well with
photographic images, and is still more compatible with the major Web
browsers than even PNG is. WBMP is intended for wireless devices (not
regular web browsers). Existing code will need modification to call
gdImagePng or gdImageJpeg instead of gdImageGif. Please do not ask us to
send you the old GIF version of GD. Unisys holds a patent on the LZW
compression algorithm, which is used in fully compressed GIF images. The
best solution is to move to legally unencumbered, well-compressed, modern
image formats such as PNG and JPEG as soon as possible.