[mrtg] 2 servers, how to combine them?

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Tue Oct 10 22:53:01 MEST 2000

Fellow mrtg'ers -

I have an interesting problem.  My current MRTG in running on an old IBM PC Server 320 with 32 mb ram and a 6 gb hard disk, a P100 processor and a single 10 mb ethernet card.  This is the collection server and web server as well.  I have had no problems collecting data in 10 minute intervals from at least 2500 separate elements.  For example, a single router could have as few as 2 elements (Serial 0/0 and Eth0/0), or many, many more.  I am running RedHat 6.1, Apache (not sure of the version) and MRTG 2.8.11.  I'll call this the RH setup.

I "lucked" into a Sun Ultra 5 with 256mb ram, a 40 gb hard drive, a SparcIIi 330 and dual ethernet 10/100 cards.  It is running SunOS 5.6 and I'm not sure which web server.  I'll call this Sun.

Now for the question:

What would be the best setup to use this new machine?  I have thought of 6 options:

1. Completely replace RH with Sun ?
2. Use RH as the web server and Sun as mrtg?
3. Reverse option 2
4. Don't change anything about RH, just add Sun and then remote mount it to RH?
5. Remote mount RH to Sun and let Sun handle the webhosting?
6. Don't do anything with mrtg, replace the whole thing with RRD-Tool on Sun and let RH continue to service the existing elements until all is running ok on Sun, then move everything over from RH to Sun?

Thanks for any and all input.

Paul