[mrtg] Re: annoying lockfile - help

Geoffrey Goodrum ggoodrum at perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov
Tue Oct 17 21:46:22 MEST 2000

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I was searching for
a solution to the same problem, i.e. MRTG complaining about lockfiles
already existing in the work directory.  This one has been annoying me
for some time, as it put an error message in my root email every five
minutes.  I found the following email in the list archive dating from
June 2, 2000, so I realized I was not alone.

This message made me realize something else was running MRTG.  After
snooping through the system, this is what I found:

The contributed Red Hat RPM binary mrtg-2.8.12-2.i386.rpm quietly puts
an entry into /etc/crontab to run MRTG every five minutes.  Therefore,
if you follow MRTG instructions and create a root crontab entry or run
MRTG as daemon, you will have two instances of MRTG running and
conflicting lockfiles.

Personally, I prefer RunAsDaemon, so I removed the /etc/crontab line for
MRTG.  And, it seems, 2.8.12 is obsolete anyway, so this may be a moot
point except for those who can't wait for a 2.9.x RPM.

Geof