[mrtg] outNU packets

Marc-Adrian Napoli marcadrian at cia.com.au
Mon Oct 23 02:41:49 MEST 2000

hi,

we have a network of 10baseT telehousing customers. we monitor traffic for
these customers using:

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets
and
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets

however, we also know that there are non-unicast packets coming out of
switches into these machines. (we have routers doing RIP and OSPF broadcasts
on the same network.)

we do not want to charge customers for this outgoing (incoming to the
machines) non-unicast traffic.

if i monitor the number of non-unicast packets hitting the box, how can i
derive an octets/bytes value to subtract from the total outgoing bytes?

would multiplying the number of frames by 64 be a good idea? or 1500? or
224?

has anyone come across a similar situation?

Regards,

Marc-Adrian Napoli
Network Admin
Connect Infobahn Australia