[mrtg] Re: outNU packets

Marc-Adrian Napoli marcadrian at cia.com.au
Tue Oct 24 02:12:45 MEST 2000

Daniel,

> You could create a "dummy" interface with no end-customer and measure it
> there.

no need really, i know that there are about 360,000 broadcast frames a day
being sent out onto the network, so ive just decided to multiply it by 64
bytes (giving me about 20meg a day broadcast traffic).

> or, you could create something using CAR and monitor it, particularly if
you
> know the kinds of traffic that will be broadcasting.

what is CAR?

> or, you could just kill the broadcasts by configuring routing protocols
> appropriately.

doesn't RIP/OSPF rely on sending packets to class D addresses? how could i
kill these off?

does anyone know if the interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets oid includes
bytes that come from non-unicast frames?

Regards,

Marc-Adrian Napoli
Network Admin
Connect Infobahn Australia