[mrtg] Re: How make a linux machine reply to SNMP requests

Daniel R . Kilbourne drk at voyager.net
Fri Oct 27 16:31:09 MEST 2000

I am copying this to the whole list in case anyone else finds it useful.

Thanks for sending along more info. I did not mean to sound rude, it was just that the first post did not give enough info for me to be able to tell what was wrong.

So, if I understande correctly, you have a UNIX box that works for snmp queries, but your Linux box does not, right?

How I do it for Linux (and Solaris), is to have the following config:  (#<---- are my comments)

com2sec local     localhost      community    #<----  this is so localhost can poll
com2sec local     10.0.0.2       community    #<----  this is also the localhost's IP
com2sec local     10.0.9.3       community    #<----  this is a remote host that is allowed access to poll
group MyROGroup v1         local
group MyROGroup v2c        local
group MyROGroup usm        local
view all    included  .1                               80
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    none   none
access MyRWGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    all    none
syslocation here
syscontact drk <drk at voyager.net>

I have this in /etc/snmpd.conf
I then have: /usr/local/sbin/snmpd -c /etc/snmpd.conf in my /etc/rc.local file to autostart it on reboot
then just run '/usr/local/sbin/snmpd -c /etc/snmpd.conf'
You should then be able to snmp poll the machine with 'community' from 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.9.3
Let me know if this does/doesn't help as I may be able to offer more if needed.

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 09:01:01AM +0200, Sandra.Krumme at Bertelsmann.de spake:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> i spent the whole afternoon reading manuals and comparing the snmpd.conf of my Alpha running Digital Unix and
> my Intel machine running Debian Linux. May it is a little bit difficult to understand for a "windows only" user why
> I can define the hosts allowed to make queries in the unix file (community public 0.0.0.0 read) but cannot do the
> same in the linux config file.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Sandra
>

> > -----Urspr> üngliche Nachricht-----
> > Von:	Daniel R . Kilbourne [SMTP:drk at voyager.net]
> > Gesendet am:	Donnerstag, 26. Oktober 2000 19:19
> > An:	Stefan Larsson
> > Cc:	mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
> > Betreff:	[mrtg] Re: How make a linux machine reply to SNMP requests
> >

> > Can I ask if you are both normally windows only users?
> >
> > Any and all programs (with a few exceptions) you get for Linux have README files with them.
> >
> > Read them.
> >
> > The documentation for snmpd was plenty enough for me to get it going, and configure it correctly, they even
> > have an example snmpd.conf

> > > Yes, i'm also very interrested in that so please be sure not to answer
> > > this mail offlist. Maybe someone could point me to a good site that
> > > holds information about this?
> > >
> > > --
> > > # stefan {position:dobedo-inc.com;height: 182; overflow: hidden;}
> >
> > --
> > Daniel R. Kilbourne
> > daniel.kilbourne at voyager.net
> > Voyager.net Network Engineer