[mrtg] Re: How many interfaces?

Bjorn Nordbo bn at nextra.com
Mon Sep 4 10:02:14 MEST 2000

Mario Jorge de Sousa Freire wrote:

> Hi, you all!
>
> I´m using MRTG 2.9.23 (beta version).
>
> How many interfaces can be monitored by MRTG (interval
> = 50 minutes) without having problems?
> I´ve read once it´s about 50 interfaces, but i´m not sure.

I'm monitoring about 1600 targets on a Dual CPU Ultra 2 with 300MHz
CPU's, using MRTG 2.9pre23 and rrdtool. It works like a charm, though
the load sometimes gets as high as 35-40, 20-30 is average.

When I kill off the old MRTG 2.8.12 (rateup) targets, I estimate that
I will be able to monitor at least 3000 targets.

One config file with approx. 500 targets takes 2-3 minutes to finish,
which is fine by me as long as I am monitoring SNMPv2c targets at 5
minutes intervals.

--
Bjørn Nordbø  -  IP Development  -  Nextra Norway