[mrtg] Re: MIB's question

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at MANDTBANK.COM
Mon Sep 11 14:22:22 MEST 2000

> greetings
>
> can someone explain or point me to a url that explains the benefits
> of using MIB's with MRTG?
>
> I have had MRTG up for 2 years now without using ( or even
> researching ) MIB's, and it has worked like a champ. Could I benefit
> from using MIB's?
>
> TIA
>
> --jeff

Jeff,

There are some default MIBs preloaded into MRTG.  MIBs are essentially the english (words vs. numbers) representation of OIDs.  If you use the OID, you never need to worry about the MIB.  On the other hand, if you like InOctets vs. .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.3.6.4.1.0 (I know that's not right, but it gets the message across), use the MIB.  You just need to define the MIB in the cfg file you will be using it in.

Paul