[mrtg] testing 2.9.0-pre prbls with FORK and Locale

Michele Michelotto michele.michelotto at pd.infn.it
Tue Sep 12 18:34:54 MEST 2000

Hello

I just downloaded MRTG 2.9.0pre24
I'am on Digital Unix 4.0

Problems in compiling: NONE

Problems in running:

1) It was complaining that the  ./lib/mrtg2/locales_mrtg.pm
files contained in several places the ascii caracter <CR>

For example:

  '¤¤¤åÁcÅé'     => \&big5,
  'brazil'       => \&brazilian,
  'brazilian'    => \&brazilian,
  'bulgarian'	 => \&bulgarian,<cr>
  'áúëãàðñêè'    => \&bulgarian,<cr>
  'catalan'	 => \&catalan,
  'catalan'	 => \&catalan,

there is a <cr> after \&bulgarian in line
145 and 146.
I removed all the <cr> symbol with an editor
and this fixed the problem:

2) It was complaining that PERL 5.005 was needed.
I had this 5.005 in /bin/perl while I had 5.004 in
/usr/local/bin/perl.

In bin/mrtg

the perl is invoked using /usr/local/bin/perl
so I had to edit it to /bin/perl

In all other places seems that the 5.004 is enough.

Then I tested the new features like ImagesDir and LogDir
and these are working perfectly.

The FORK also works very well. I tried with 4, 8 and 16
I'm collecting statistics from a lot of low latency host
and netwok box in my LAN. I got a 30% speedup.

Then I tried the RunAsDaemon option but I get this error:

Daemonizing MRTG ...
# ERROR: fork 0 has died ahead of time ...

each time I run it as daemon it dies with the
same error message:

Now I tried with
RunAsDaemon but I removed the Fork.
and IT WORKS.

Anybody running with both Fork and RunAsDaemon switch on?

--
						 Michele
   |,4-  ) )_   .;.(  `'-'                        INFN di Padova
  '---''(_/._)-'(_\_)                        Tel+39 049 827 7188
 I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.     ©