[mrtg] monitoring uptime percentage

Miller, Robert Robert_Miller at MCFA.COM
Tue Sep 19 20:09:53 MEST 2000

Hi all,
I have several wireless access devices that have a tendency to randomly lock up.
I want to track up time (or down time as the case may be) to pinpoint any trends
toward possible gradual total failure.

The device is an Intermec Access Point 0115
running mrtg 2.9.0pre27
on NT4sp6a

So far this is what I have compiled:

cfg file-
# Access Point uptime

Target[device]: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0&1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0:public at device  <-----OID for
sysUpTime including trailing zero
RouterUpTime[device]: public at device
MaxBytes[device]:100
Title[device]: Uptime Trending for device
PageTop[device]: <H1>Uptime Trending for device</H1>
Unscaled[device]: ymwd
ShortLegend[device]: %
XSize[device]: 380
YSize[device]: 100
YLegend[device]: Up Time
Legend1[device]: Up Time in % (Load)
Legend2[device]: Up Time in % (Load)
Legend3[device]:
Legend4[device]:
LegendI[device]:
LegendO[device]: &nbsp;Usage
Options[device]: gauge

This yields-
D:\mrtg-2.9.0pre27\bin>perl mrtg accesspoint.cfg
Rateup ERROR: Can't cope with 18, sorry!                         <------Value
for sysUpTime
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 1 when doing router 'device'
 Signal was 0, Returncode was 1

This is the first line out of the MRTG log file for the device-
969379138 18 days,
<------Value for sysUpTime

I would guess that I've goofed something in my cfg file and its causing mrtg to
choke on the value of '18 days' or this is not a valid approach to this problem.

Has anyone else tried something of this nature before and what were the steps
you took to yield results?

Thanks for any assistance.

Robert Miller
Mitsubishi Caterpillar