[mrtg] SNMP_util and SNMP_session modules

Jason Frisvold Jason.Frisvold at corp.ptd.net
Wed Sep 20 17:42:22 MEST 2000

I did not see this appear on the list, so I am sending it again...

Hello,

	Does anyone here have any experience using the SNMP_Session.pm and
SNMP_util.pm modules.  I need to use these in a current project and I was
wondering if you could help me out a little.

	I have to use the snmpgetnext function on a particular OID.  When
the funtion returns, I need 2 items.  First and most importantly, I need the
OID that it has found and secondly, I need the standard value of that OID.
The OID is extremely important in that it contains a lot of the values I
need to properly parse the data.  Marconi (formerly Fore Systems) tacks on
the VCI, VPI, etc. to the OID and this is the only way I have found to
quickly get the information.  Besides which, I need that OID to perform the
next snmpgetnext...  :)

	Any ideas on how I can get snmpgetnext to return the OID as well as
the normal value?  I would really appreciate the help...

	Here's a quick example...

	I do an snmpgetnext on this oid : 1.3.6.1.4.1.326.2.2.2.1.4.2.1.8
(ChanRSigProtocol)

	I get a return oid of this :
1.3.6.1.4.1.326.2.2.2.1.4.2.1.8.19.0.100.2.0.103 with a return value of 4.
A return value of 4 indicates a PVC.  Now I can rip apart the OID and get
the proper values.  The oid rips like this :

	1.3.6.1.4.1.326.2.2.2.1.4.2.1.8.iport.ivpi.ivci.oport.ovpi.ovci

	That is the information I untimately need to get from snmpgetnext...
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jason H. Frisvold
Head ATM Engineer