[mrtg] Beefing up NT?

cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com cpt2 at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Sep 25 23:37:46 MEST 2000

Question:

I'm running MRTG (2.8.6) on NT4.0 with 128Meg RAM monitoring about 40
devices (access points and servers) with 2 OIDs each.  I would like to
monitor mauch more than this and was wondering what the best thing to do
would be to make the system handle a more interfaces to monitor.

I am also monitoring the system that MRTG is running on.  The memory usage
on it is around 108Megs on average, the CPU usage is around 23%, the
network usage is very low (not really worried about this), the pagefile
usage is around 25% (average).

Would an increase in RAM give me better performance?  Say 256Megs instead
of 128Megs?  Or perhaps 512Megs?  I realize the ceiling here is really the
speed of the hard drive (which is an IDE).

I'm also using a timout value of 1 with 2 retries since most links have low
latency.  Could anyone give me some suggestions on this, I guess people
using NT to run MRTG would have more insight!?  I'm also using a service to
run a getdata.cmd file which calls about 10 different CFG files and opens
up different command windows so that if one times out it will not slow down
the others.

Thanks in advance,
Chris