[mrtg] Re: Hy everybody!

Daniel J McDonald dmcdonald at digicontech.com
Tue Apr 3 15:45:33 MEST 2001

Well, there are over 10,000 snmp private OIDs on an average Cisco router,
and probably another 10,000 standard OIDs.  So, there are at least 20,000
things you can monitor on a Cisco router out of the box.  Most of them would
be fairly uninteresting graph wise, but I'm sure if read through all of the
mibs you would find something interesting...

I use MRTG to monitor cisco routers for:
interface traffic
DLCI traffic
specific traffic patterns
VOIP off hook time
successful pings (with thresholds to page me when a router is down)
CPU utilization
memory utilization
temperature

depending on what you are monitoring, you might be able to tell:
size of the tides
phase of the moon
number of coke cans left in the coke machine
number of fish that have swum past a dam
number of people who have run a red light on a particular intersection

In other words, MRTG can be used to graph any time-progressive data that you
can enumerate.  The problem is, of course, figuring out how to enumerate the
data...