[mrtg] Cisco Buffer Hits OID

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 3 20:30:33 MEST 2001

I'm trying to convence management that certain WAN links need help. They see
the utilization bouncing between 50% and 75% and say, "what's the problem?
There's plenty of capacity left." They don't want to hear that the rule of
thumb is 50% == full.

So, I want to graft Cisco buffer hits. If, I can show them that the buffers
keep getting hit, that that means that packets are having to get queued up
to get across the WAN link. A queued packet is a delayed packet.

I've been trying to find the Cisco OID for buffer hits and can't seem to
find one. I'm looking for the values you see when you type "show buffers."

In OLD-CISCO-MEMORY-MIB I found a set of OIDs that seem to relate, but my
router (IOS 12.0.9) doesn't seem to have those values in it's tree. I also
searched the list archive and didn't find any relevant postings.

Anybody have any ideas?

Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?