[mrtg] Re: Largest value?

Grendel grendel at interq.ad.jp
Fri Apr 6 03:14:25 MEST 2001

Hi,
	With the default five minute polling interval of MRTG and the 32 bit
counters inherent in SNMPv1, the maximum throughput you can monitor is
2^32 - 1 bytes per second, which works out to about 114 Mbps. However
this limit might not apply to your case exactly. It holds for routers
using looping counters, not gauges as you would find in say a dialup
access server. How are you monitoring bytes transfered by individual
users? Are you using an odometer-like couter that loops at the max or a
gauge that rises and falls?

Best regards,
James Overbeck
GMO - http://www.gmo.co.jp/