[mrtg] Question on the log file..

Marc Duchesneau mduches1 at Matrox.COM
Mon Apr 9 18:46:55 MEST 2001

Hi everyone, i hope this is the first time my mail get to the list, i think
i had the wrong adress, anyways,

I have a question regarding the log file and up to now i have not found an
answer that satisfy my curiosity.  I read the logfile.txt and spend quite
some time browsing throught this list and on the main MRTG site but to no
avail.  So here is my "problem":
I am using mrtg 2.9.7 on a linux box (redhat 6.2) and the device that is of
special interest to me is a cisco Catalys 3548XL.  The mib i am trying to
monitor is the following:
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.9 which stand for the ifInErrors for port 9.

986503514 598395 598395
986503514 0 0 0 0
986503211 0 0 0 0
986503200 0 0 0 0
986502900 0 0 0 0

later...

986503812 598397 598397
986503812 0 0 0 0
986503514 0 0 0 0
986503500 0 0 0 0
986503200 0 0 0 0
986502900 0 0 0 0

So, althought the mib variable is being updated quite often (as i can also
see when i walk the mibs), i almost always end up with 0 in the log file.

here is the config for that mib...

Target[machine.in9]:
.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.9&.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.9:public at machine
MaxBytes[machine.in9]: 1250000
Options[machine.in9]: growright
YLegend[machine.in9]: Input Error
ShortLegend[machine.in9]: Input Error
WithPeak[machine.in9]: wym

Ok, at this point, i'dlike to mention that the regular trafic monitoring is
working fine, but maybe i need to enable some specific option in the .cfg
file for this particular mib?
So maybe this is normal because of the arithmetics of mrtg but then again i
know there is a lot of error for this port but i almost always have 0..
so, if anyone have a clue, i'd appreciate !

thanks
Marc