[mrtg] Re: Cisco Buffer Hits OID

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:10:02 MEST 2001

Jonathan,

I think I heard tje 50% rule-of-thumb originally at a Network General (now
Sniffer Technologies) sniffer class. It sounds good and it makes logical
sense. If the "average" utilization is 50% that means that there are
probably packets that get stuck waiting in line to go down the pike
(buffered in a queue). For applications that are delay-sensitive, queued
packets are a BAD THING.

Other than that, I cannot provide a published source of that figure.

Sorry,
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?