[mrtg] Re: How many forks??

Grendel grendel at interq.ad.jp
Wed Apr 11 15:28:29 MEST 2001

Hi,
	As for figuring out the optimal number, if MRTG can't finish a run
through a config file in the interval you've specified, an email error
message will get sent to the account of whoever's crontab is running it.
(Haven't tried running as a daemon so I'm not sure if email messages get
sent in that case.)  You can start with a "Forks: 1" line, wait for
error messages to arrive at that account, and then increase the Forks
count until the error messages stop.
	As for where, I've never used include so I can only guess, but I'm
guessing that once in the main file before the include statements would
make the most sense, and that putting an include statement in a config
file is like pasting the contents of that file there.
	Here we have similar problems with a huge number of devices to monitor.
Instead of forks though, we use separate cfg files and mutltiple crontab
lines. Probably not the best solution, admittedly. Please let me (us?)
know how it works with the one massive config and multiple forks, and
also whether you're using a crontab or RunAsDaemon.

Best regards,
James Overbeck
GMO - http://www.gmo.co.jp/
Tokyo, Japan