[mrtg] Re: TNS-Ping perl script

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:12:25 MEST 2001

>From: "Patrick Bartkus" <patrckb at hotmail.com>
>
>Has any written a Oracle TNS-Ping perl script using Perl DBI?
>
>I would like to create a target that tracked the ICMP ping times vrs.
>TNS-Ping times. I just need a little ammo in my "it's the network - no -
>it's the database" argument.<G>

Well, I invented the wheel myself. What I had to do is get the Oracle DBs to
add the Oracle client onto my MRTG box. Then I just did the following
script:

----tnsping-lxop script -----

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
#
#	t n s p i n g - l x o p
#
#	This program will output two values
#		tnsping time to lxop instance on flossclxp
#		average time to flossclxp
#OK (150 msec)

my ($ICMPping);
my ($TNSping);

($ICMPping) = `/usr/local/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/mrtg-ping-probe -p avg/avg
flossclxp |tail -1` ;

($TNSping) = `ORACLE_HOME=/files0/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.4;export
ORACLE_HOME;/files0/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.4/bin/tnsping lxop | tail
-1` ;

($TNSping) = $TNSping =~ /OK \((\d+) msec\)/;
print $ICMPping;
print "$TNSping\n" ;

exit;
----

The tricky part was that it wanted to know the environment variable
ORACLE_HOME before tnsping would execute. It is working great.

Enjoy!
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, CCNP Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Fleet Mortgage Group		    Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?