[mrtg] Interval less than 5 minutes?

Mike Holley mholley at deltacontrols.com
Thu Apr 12 20:45:27 MEST 2001

Hi there,

We have been running MRTG for the last year of so to gather statistics on
our network (servers, switches and routers). What we have been finding is
that the 5 minute interval is to wide and averages out peaks for CPU
utilization and traffic spikes. I have read a few articles on the MRTG
newsgroups that talk about modification of the MRTG_lib.pm to accomplish a
shorter interval (30 seconds - 1 minute). I have gone through the modules
and have found it difficult to follow what is going on. Has anyone
successfully modified their install of MRTG to run at an interval less than
5 minutes? If so, how did you do it?

Configuration details :

Server MRTG is running on : Red Hat Linux 6.1, kernel 2.2.5-15
MRTG version : 2.9.10
Perl Version : perl-5.00503-2

Michael D. Holley, CNE
IT Technician