[mrtg] MRTG Counter details

Senthilvel Rangaswamy Senthilvel.Rangaswamy at eng.sun.com
Fri Apr 13 18:48:57 MEST 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the stats that are recorded by MRTG and
some of the numbers don't match with what I would expect.  Here's
what I'm doing.

I have 3 sun machines running a simple program that writes data
in 128 KB chunks as fast as it can.  All are connected over GBit and is
writing to a common file server which is also connected
via GBit.  The three clients that are running show that they are
each writing at about 7.8 MB/sec, so I expect to see the common
file server writing data at around 23 MB/sec.  I have run a tool
from within the SE tool kit that monitors TCP and
it shows TCP input at the rate of about 23 MB/sec.

Here is where I am confused.

I am collecting these server statistics from the switch port
the machine is connected to. It is connected to a Catalyst 6000. The
outgoing bytes just shows 80 Mbps.  Whereas the SE toolkit on
the Sun machine shows 23 MB/sec of incoming traffic.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
--
..Senthil.

"The spirit is willing, but will is not spirited.."
                                                    -- P.G.Wodehouse