[mrtg] Re: PVC

Kerry Kincaid. kincaid at meer.net
Thu Aug 2 17:25:01 MEST 2001

I would use some sort of syslog facility if your FRAD supports it and
capture those events.  Have a script or program monitor those events and
when a PVC Down event occurred have it page, or send an e-mail to you.  This
is something I have in the works but haven't had the time to complete.

You could also use a ping utility in a script that pings multiple devices on
an IP subnet at the other side of your PVC.  When all of those devices show
down you can generally assume that the PVC is down or at least that those
devices are not able to communicate across the PVC for some reason that
needs attention.  When this case exists you can be paged or e-mailed.  This
may be better since this covers not only if the PVC is down but router
problems, addressing issues, or a bad configuration somewhere along the
path.

Just some ideas I hope you find useful.

Kerry