[mrtg] Re: MRTG bug?

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Thu Aug 9 15:57:33 MEST 2001

A - Alex explained this, quite well...

B - I maintain MRTG can not do single OIDs.  It can do the same OID
twice, or an OID with a good value and an OID with a 0 value.  It
can not do a single OID.  As stated in one of my previous e-mails,
SingleRequest requests one OID value at a time, not just one OID.
SNMP works with get and getnext.  The more efficient way to do it is via
this method.  If you have to do multiple gets, the machine has to servicee
 ach request indiviaully.  If it can deal with getnext, it can handle ther
 equest in one big chunk.  Read up some more on SNMP before coming
back and trying to tell me different.

He's the code that deals with SingleRequest...

    if (defined $$cfg{singlerequest}){
        foreach my $oid (@OID){
            push @ret,
            snmpget($$target{Community}.'@'.$$target{Host}.$$target{SnmpOpt},$$cfg{snmpoptions},$oid);
        }
    } else {
        @ret = snmpget($$target{Community}.'@'.$$target{Host}.$$target{SnmpOpt},
$$cfg{snmpoptions}, at OID);

Basically, this has NO EFFECT on how many OIDs to grab, just how
to grab the OIDs.

I will also say that I can support this from many other angles.

MRTG does two OIDs per target.  No way around it.  If you graph the
same one twice, it will look like a green area topped by a blue line.

If you still are not convinced, send the config (in the e-mail, not as ana
 ttachment) and the first 10 lines or so of the resulting data file.  I want
to see the evidence of one value in there...

Bring it on!

Paul

>>> "Jade E. Deane" <moose at riven.net> 08/09/01 04:00AM >>>

A) The documentation you reference is speaking mathematically, not in the
context of individual targets.
B) In reference to the original response, it is quite possible to monitor a
single target ;)

Cheers,
Jade