[mrtg] Re: strange behavior when link fails

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Aug 10 18:02:42 MEST 2001

A few questions -

What are the values looking like in your logs?

Do you get any messages that the device can't not be contacted or
didn't get a response from the device?  If the link goes down, does
only one device report that it is not responding, or do both?

Do you have unknaszeo in your options?
I'm guessing you do, but you never know...

Paul

>>> "Thurston, David" <DThurston at mvusd.k12.ca.us> 08/10/01 11:52AM >>>

Hi All,

I experiencing some strange behavior in MRTG when my frame-relay links fail.
During the outage period my graphs return the flat line (1%) reading, which
I understand is an assumption made by MRTG concerning the nature of upd
transmission; however, once the communication has been restored my graph
never returns to normal. I know that the devices, both NT servers and Cisco
routers, are still responding to SNMP queries because I can walk their MIBs
using Getif and other MIB browsers, so I'm at a loss as to why MRTG is not
picking up the response and graphing the data. Has anybody out there
experienced the same problem? Any information any one can give me will be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David Thurston
MVUSD