[mrtg] Re: Adding a mib file to MRTG?

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Aug 13 16:25:06 MEST 2001

You don't need to "compile" the mib for MRTG to use it...

You can make sure the values you are looking for by doing something
like snmpwalk x.x.x.x public > text, then look in that file to see what
MIBs are loaded on the device you want to query.

If they are there, you can do a LoadMibs: whatever command in the
config file.  But know that anything you can get from doing a LoadMibs
command, you can get from querying the OID directly, which is much
quicker than querying through the MIB.

Paul

>>> Craig A.Sharp <csharp2a at unixnut.com> 08/13/01 10:04AM >>>

I have a mib file for hp-unix that I downloaded from inotech.com.  I wouldl
 ike to use this file with MRTG but I am not sure how to do this.  I haves
 een the option to add a mib file to the .cfg file but I thought that mibf
 iles had to be compiled before thay can be used.  I am including a snippetf
 rom the file.  I see no OIB translations in this file.  If I need to compile
the file, how do I do it?

Here is the section from the file:

HP-UNIX DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

--
--  Hewlett-Packard definitons for unix agents
--  @(#) hp-unix $Date: 1996/06/12 23:35 UTC $ $Revision: /main/TORNADO/5 $

IMPORTS
        enterprises, NetworkAddress, IpAddress, Counter, Gauge,
		TimeTicks
            FROM RFC1155-SMI
	OBJECT-TYPE
	    FROM RFC-1212
	DisplayString
	    FROM RFC1213-MIB;

hp 		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 11 }
nm		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { hp 2 }
system		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nm 3 }
interface	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nm 4 }
icmp		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nm 7 }
snmp		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nm 13 }
openView	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { nm 17 }
general		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { system 1 }
hpux		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { system 2 }
hpsun		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { system 10 }
sparc		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { hpsun 1 }
computerSystem	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { general 1 }
fileSystem	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { general 2 }
processes	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { general 4 }
cluster		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { general 5 }
ieee8023Mac	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { interface 1 }
trap		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmp 1 }
snmpdConf	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmp 2 }
authfail	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { snmp 4 }
openViewTrapVars OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { openView 2 }

-- sysObjectId definitions.  These values are returned in the
--    .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysObjectID.0 variable

hp386		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { system 8 }
hp9000s300	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { hpux 2 }
hp9000s800	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { hpux 3 }
hp9000s700	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { hpux 5 }
hpOpenView	OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { openView 1 }
sun4		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { sparc 1 }
sun5		OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { sparc 2 }

-- the ComputerSystem Group

computerSystemUpTime OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX	TimeTicks
	ACCESS	read-only
	STATUS	mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Time since the last boot."
	::= { computerSystem 1 }

computerSystemUsers OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX 	Gauge
	ACCESS	read-only
	STATUS	mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Number of users logged on to system."
	::= { computerSystem 2 }

computerSystemAvgJobs1 OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX	Gauge
	ACCESS 	read-only
	STATUS	mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Average number of jobs in the last 1
		minute * 100."
	::= { computerSystem 3 }

computerSystemAvgJobs5 OBJECT-TYPE
	SYNTAX 	Gauge
	ACCESS 	read-only
	STATUS	mandatory
	DESCRIPTION
		"Average number of jobs in the last 5
		minutes * 100."
	::= { computerSystem 4 }

The rest of the file is the same.  I do not think that this file will work.

Thanks for your help,

Craig