[mrtg] Re: End to End measurement of Delay & Packet Loss

Patrick Bartkus patrckb at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:51:36 MEST 2001

>"Roger Leitch" <roger.leitch at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>I need to be able to measure end to end performance across a network with
>Cisco Routers.
>
>I understand that there is a performance measurement system built into the
>router IOS that can be configured to send test packets to destination
>routers.  (Configured using rtr commands).
>Looking at the MIB: CISCO-RTTMON-MIB.my, it should be possible to retrieve
>the results using SNMP.

Roger,

This is asked about every 6 months or so. The short answer is no.

The long answer is that while RTT looks like a neat feature to be able to
use, it would take a lot of work to make it work.

You have to create a probe in the router & tell it what to probe, how to
probe it,  how often to probe it, and when to start to probing it. Then you
have to go back and query that probe for it's results. All of this is no
small coding task. CiscoWorks 2000 has a module (Internetwork Performance
Monitor) written in Java that does all this.

Most people use the MRTG ping probe script and are happy with its results.

If you do set something up using RTT, please post how you do it to this
list. We would love to hear of your experience.

HTH,
Patrick
---
Patrick Bartkus, SCE, CCNP, CCDA Certified	Sr. Network Support Analyst
Washington Mutual Home Loans, Inc (Formerly Fleet Mortgage)Columbia, SC
If truth was not absolute, how could there be justice?