[mrtg] Re: cfgmaker

Perry, Duane PerryD at missouri.edu
Tue Aug 28 17:10:35 MEST 2001

I have done massive editing in the past and have learned slowly how to
automate things.  I am using Linux so Perl and shell scripts are how I do
most of this stuff.  The "--show-op-down" option works to keep the
administratively-up but operationally-down lines from being left out.  I
edited the cfgmaker script to remove some things I did not need.  I assure
you my scripting skills are minimal, none of this is too tough.  A shell
script is just a file with a list of commands in the order you want them.
Shell script example:

/usr/bin/cfgmaker  --show-op-down $1@$2 > $3.cfg
grep -v ^# $3.cfg > $3x.cfg
mv $3x.cfg $3.cfg -f

Put those three lines in a file called myconfig.sh for this example.

Enter: chmod 755 myconfig.sh        to make it executable,

Then enter:  ./myconfig.sh public 128.206.99.100 router1

This will create a file called router1.cfg. You will have to adjust the path
to your cfgmaker and insert your own community name, ip and name. This
example uses the --show-op-down and the grep solution, only one would be
needed but you can add other commands to fine tune the resulting file.  The
if-filter option sounds good to me too but I have not had any success with
it yet.

Duane Perry - University of Missouri