[mrtg] Re: Wan spikes

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Aug 31 14:30:37 MEST 2001

The easiest explaination is this:  MRTG does rates.

MRTG retrieves a value.  No response.  MRTG, thinks, "Great,
I'll just enter a zero."  Next time, gets the same thing, no response,
zeo goes into the log.  Then the next time, it gets a response, and it
is huge.  So the rate for that period of time is huge.  The problem is thec
 ounter was incrementing the whole time mrtg could not talk to the device,
but the device did not know that.  Then the next poll, it gets a huge+smallv
 alue, and puts that in as the rate between n and n-300 seconds.  It happens
sometimes when you first start monitoring devices as well.
It's a problem, but I don't know how I'd solve it with MRTG.  Sounds likeo
 nce you are able to poll the device, you need to reset the counters BEFOREm
 rtg can poll it again.  That will eliminate the possibility of the huge spike.
I know that isn't realistic all the time, but it may get someone thinking...

Paul

>>> WEYMIENS Bruno FTRD/DMI/SOP <bruno.weymiens at rd.francetelecom.com> 08/31/01 08:02AM >>>

hi everyone,

I confirm what Keery said : I've got spikes too when information is
retrieved again after a period of no value.

as i'm polling a SNMP MIB, I could check the MIB when it happens, but I'd
have to look at the graph continuously to see a spike and to look at the MIB
immediately...
:-(
hard to do...

I'll try to simulate a problem and see if it happens, but if someone as a
clue, it'd be appreciated.

regards