[mrtg] Re: Wan spikes

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Aug 31 16:33:55 MEST 2001

What are the first few lines (inlcuding the first) of your log?
That will speak volumes.  Also, try to catch the log right after
the line is fixed and mrtg has completed one poll.

This will give you some more info.

Paul

>>> "Kerry Kincaid." <kincaid at meer.net> 08/31/01 10:25AM >>>
I do not have unknaszero as an option for this device.  I considered that
first.  My understanding of MRTG is that if it can not get a valid number
from a device, then it assumes the last accurate value for the current
value, to prevent this very thing, then the spike isn't near as large as it
would be assuming zero.  My link is currently down and I am showing a
current value of 0.00.  I'm sure I'll get another large spike if I can ever
get Verizon to fix my connection.

The only other option I can think of is to lower the MaxBytes value to a
value that is closer to the highest actual value I've ever received from
this device, say 100k instead of the actual possible speed of the Ethernet
interface that is 10Mbps.  However, wouldn't this change my percentages for
line usage?

The only other thing I can think of is to have an MRTG server at that
location so it never has to be worried about the WAN link.  Not a cost
effective solution though.

Kerry