[mrtg] Dial-up stas

Joao Romariz joao.romariz at autotrac.com.br
Fri Aug 31 23:51:36 MEST 2001

Hello all,

	I've been working for about a week in a problem : I would like to
monitor the number of dial-up connections on a DIGITAL DECSERVER 900. As far
as I could see, there no specific MIB for this. I found a way that is very
simple and works fine.

	1 - Configured all modems (usrobotics) connected to the decserver to
ATS1, which means that the modem should drop it's DSR signal every time it
looses the carrier (DCD), so on every call the modem answers, it would raise
the DSR and drop it in the end;
	2 - Using the RS-232 MIB, OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.10.33.5.1.4.x.3 (where x
is the decserver port number you want to monitor), I get the number of times
the DSR signal changed state ( i will call this FIRST OID).
	3 - As DSR changes state 2 times for every call, I had to divide the
value of the first OID per 2 to get the correct number of calls, so I only
have to chose a OID with a fixed result of 2 ( I will call this the SECOND
OID) and divide the FIRST OID by it.
	4 - The MRTG variable for each port would be "FIRST OID (number os
changes in the state of DSR signal) / SECOND OID (index value for port 2,
wich gives 2 all the time)".

	If you want to monitor more then one port, all you have to do is add
more pairs of OID, changing the index number of the FIRST OID.

	I'm sorry for my bad english, hope you will understand and hope this
helps some one.

	Regards,

	João R.