[mrtg] Re: MIB for HP4000M that gives total vlan traffic.

Paul D. Walker II paul.walker at moody.edu
Mon Dec 3 18:40:41 MET 2001

On the 4000 devices, in the out of the box config, you should see an
interface #92 which is the DEFAULT_VLAN.  If you enable and use other
VLANs, they likewise get an interface # starting with 93.  Just plot the
"VLAN" interface like you would a physical one.

Example:
If you want to plot the aggregate traffic on all ports of a switch with no
other VLANs, set up MRTG to monitor interface 92, the default VLAN.

I have our servers on a 4000M and we plot each servers throughput along
with the aggregate bandwidth of the VLAN they are in on that switch and it
gives a fairly good snapshot of your total traffic pattern for the switch.

Paul

At 10:36 AM 12/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone knows if their is a MIB for the HP4000M switch
>that can give the total traffic on a vlan (Instead of monitoring traffic
>physically by port, you are monitoring per vlan even if that vlan spreads
>accross multiple ports, etc.)
>
>Has anyone else done this?
>
>Thanks,
>Aaron Shively
>

>--

Paul D. Walker II                          Voice:  312/329-4392
Network & System Support Manager           Fax:    312/329-8961
Moody Bible Institute                      e-mail: paul.walker at moody.edu
820 North LaSalle Blvd.                    Web:    http://www.moody.edu
Chicago, IL  60610                         HP ProCurve Rules!!