[mrtg] Re: Monitoring virtual domains' bandwidth on a Linux box

les lcjones at mis.net
Thu Dec 6 03:36:41 MET 2001

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> Kerry Cox wrote:
>

>>Okay, here's a bonehead question, so please forgive my ignorance. I am
>>currently measuring the amount of traffic being used by several virtual
>>domains on a Linux server by capturing the SNMP data from off their port
>>on a Cisco 2924 switch into which that Linux machine connects. I know
>>that Linux has the ability to do SNMP as well.

Alex,

this is not bone head question!

we've recently started mrtg on virtual host linux box. we run about 150
domains on this one, but as you mention, either grab the switch port or
the nic to get total bw.

either way works for total bw. but to get virtual hosting stats, you may
want to look at a package called webcp. http://webcp.can-host.com/ we're
currently using the 3.0 version.

this pack is all inclusive for virtual domain hosting from setup to site
monitoring. a 4.0 version is out and we're just now setting up an intel
box with rh7.2 to run it with. our 3.0 is on a sun box running suse, and
well, it just ain't happenin' <g>.

webcp, or a similar package is what you may be looking for.

les jones
noc gnome @
mikrotec internet services
lcjones at mis.net