[mrtg] Tagged VLAN and MRTG

Akio Sugeno sugeno at telehouse.com
Thu Dec 6 15:33:03 MET 2001

Hi,

Anyone has an experience with tagged VLAN and MRTG ?

1) L2 Switch using tagged VLAN
Suppose a L2 switch uses multiple tagged VLAN on a single
physical port and I'd like to run MRTG per tagged VLAN to
monitor each VLAN traffic.

Can we do this ?

If you are doing this, what kind of switch are you using ?
Cisco, Foundry or Extreme ?

If the above approach is not feasible, maybe I can run
MTRG to the router instead of switch. So my next
question is...

2) Cisco Router using sub-interface (tagged VLAN)
Suppose a Cisco box uses multiple sub-interfaces on a single
physical interface and I'd like to run MRTG per sub-interface
(or per tagged VLAN) to monitor each VLAN traffic.

Can we do this ?

Your input on this matter is truly appreciated.

--akio