[mrtg] Re: Efficiency Question

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Mon Dec 10 13:45:02 MET 2001

Hello Harris,

Here are a few tips I've learned:

1:  Use SCSI whenever possible.  IDE uses the general processor, therefor
causing higher CPU utilization when doing heavy I/O.  SCSI I/O overhead on
the general processor is much lower, this will help keep MRTG from running
too long.

2:  Use a different config file for each device.  Group them together as
evenly as you can over the 1-5 minutes (starting at 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4
minutes)  Keeping them on different configs allows you to re-arrange them
amongst those 5-minute slots if needed.

That should help you scale to quite a high number of devices.  I had a 500
Mhz P-III SCSI system targetting over 2,000 different targets (including
ports of switches/routers)

Hope that helps.

Tony

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net