[mrtg] Packet vs. byte: Accurate results?

John Oliver john.oliver at hosting.com
Tue Dec 11 02:43:58 MET 2001

I've been using MRTG to monitor several Linux machines for a long time.
Recently, I configured ipac-ng http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipac-ng/
on a firewall host to account for packets to various machines inside.
When comparing the two results, though, there's a discrepancy... the
resilts based on an SNMP query against the host are a little more than
3.5X as much as the results obtained from the IP accounting rules.
Looking at the raw SNMP data, it looks like MRTG is getting results in
"octets" instead of bytes...

interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.3 = 1200751471
interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets.3 = 1738091790

This is the 2.2.19 kernel, ipchains v 1.3.9

So, it seems that the data that MRTG collects, at least for 2.2.X Linux
hosts, is incorrect, unless I'm missing something.

--
John Oliver
System Administrator
mailto:john.oliver at hosting.com