[mrtg] Re: Packet vs. byte: Accurate results?

John Oliver john.oliver at hosting.com
Wed Dec 12 00:02:19 MET 2001

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> John Oliver wrote:
>
> > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifInOctets.3 = 1200751471
> > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets.3 = 1738091790
>
> These should be counting bytes as expected (on this hardware).

"should be" being the operative phrase... :-)  Maybe they are, maybe
they aren't; but the values I get from SNMP don't agree with my other
results.

> > So, it seems that the data that MRTG collects, at least for 2.2.X Linux
> > hosts, is incorrect, unless I'm missing something.
>
> If it is wrong at all:
> The data that MRTG collects is wrong, not the way MRTG collects its data.

Yes, I know.  I'm not blaming MRTG for somehow mangling the data... I
was just hoping someone might have some idea of why I'm getting the
different results.

I found a link to the VLAN feeding the cabinet, and I get a third result
from it! :-)  So now, it looks like ip accounting, Linux SNMP, and Cisco
SNMP all disagree as to the actual amount of traffic going by.  Does
anyone have any ideas at all?

For comparison, the current Max values are 566.1/677.3, 642.3/795.6, and
167.8/227.1 (that's for Cisco, then Linux SNMP, then Linux ip
accounting)

--
John Oliver
System Administrator