[mrtg] Errors regarding shared libraries when running mrtg on Linux

Brian Cochrane brian at rackm0unt.org
Wed Dec 12 09:44:45 MET 2001

Hello,

I just built and installed MRTG, after building the necessary libraries
specified in the installation documentation (pnglib, zlib, jpeg-6b, and gd),
and am receiving errors.  I consulted the man pages, FAQs, and other
documentation, but could not find any information on the errors I'm
receiving:

COMMAND LINE:
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg
/home/httpd/www.rackm0unt.org/htdocs/mrtg/cfg/mrtg.cfg

OUTPUT:
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/rateup: error while loading shared libraries: cannot
open
shared object file: cannot load shared object file: No such file or
directory
WARNING: rateup died from Signal 0
 with Exit Value 127 when doing router 'www2.rackm0unt.org_2'
 Signal was 0, Returncode was 127

All the libraries compiled free of warnings and errors, as did the MRTG
binaries.  I saw the note in the installation docs about building the
libraries as static, rather than shared, libraries, but I honestly do not
know how to do this.  As far as I can tell, all the shared libraries are
present, and /etc/ld.so.conf points to the directory containing the
aforementioned libraries.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to check.  If anyone can lend some
advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Brian Cochrane