[mrtg] ISDN up/down status - was Re: SNMP based monitoring of Cisco dialer profiles

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Dec 12 12:20:59 MET 2001

MRTG really isn't the tool for doing something like this.  It's more a job for sysmon or Big Brother.

MRTG does rates, and if an ISDN line is up or down, the 5 minute value will never really be 1 or 0 (up or down) during an entire 5 minute period.  Unless it was up before the poll start and up after the poll ended, you'll get strange results.

If anyone is doing this via any means, I'd like to hear about it.  I'm working on a way to monitor the status of a whole bunch of ISDN lines on different routers, and I haven't found a slick way to do it yet.

Paul

>>> "Patrick De Muynck" <patrick at dreamtech.gr> 12/12/01 05:35 AM >>>

Does anybody know a workaround or an alternative solution
for the following problem?
(please cc to patrick at dreamtech.gr)

We have configured a Cisco router for dial-on-demand routing to
various remote sites, using BRI ISDN and dialer profiles.

I would like to monitor the status of the Dialer interfaces
("in use" or "not in use") via SNMP (and MRTG).

The problem is that the MIB-2 "operational status" reported
by the router for the Dialer interfaces is always "dormant",
whether the Dialer interfaces are in user or not
(MIB-2 interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus).

Maybe other MIBs can be used (ISDN or PPP related...)?

Thanks,

Patrick De Muynck
DreamTech, Athens

PS
The returned values for the BRI B-channel interfaces DO make sense
(SNMP reports "dormant" or "up"), but the problem is that the
mapping between the Dialer interfaces and the underlying B-channel
interface is variable.