[mrtg] Re: Lets talk Conversions

Dana Hudes dhudes at hudes.org
Thu Dec 13 15:10:48 MET 2001

Yes but in communications 1K = 10000 not 1024.
Only in computer storage -- RAM, disk, tape, etc. -- is it 1024.
Communications works on powers of 10 not powers of 2.
This is a common error which traps many of my students so a favorite on my midterm exam.

T1 = 153600 bits/second  (btw, that's each way it is a full-duplex medium whereas Ethernet is half-duplex)
(which leads into the discussion of baseband and broadband).

Prof. Dana Hudes
Yeshiva U.