[mrtg] Re: Burst traffic

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Dec 14 18:41:50 MET 2001

A few simple questions...

What does the MaxBytes value say?  Is there a CIR?  Obviously, if the
line speed in limited to 128k, it is impossible to go above that.  Burst traffic
would occur for something you just described - downloads and other file
transfers, as well as any other time lots of information would flow (running
a game server or something like that).

Could you post a url where we could see the graph?

Paul

>>> "Alejandro Cabrera Obed" <sisdis at tournet.com.ar> 12/14/01 12:33PM >>>

Hi everybody,

I have a MRTG software monitoring a 128 Kbps (16KBps) dedicated link to my
ISP (LMDS technology).
Sometimes when I downloaded a program from Internet, in the graphics that
MRTG builds, it appears some peak rates of 26 KBps ( greater than the 16
KBps of my link capacity).
Technical support from my  ISP say that it is a "burst", but they didn't say
what's the cause of this behavior.
I ask you: what is the cause of a burst traffic in a link and when it occurs
????

Thanks a lot and regards,

Alejandro Cabrera Obed
E-mail: sisdis at tournet.com.ar