[mrtg] Re: log file not retaining history

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Fri Dec 14 21:38:09 MET 2001

Woops!  I didn't see your config below.  You need to
increase the MaxBytes to something more than 1000.
Definitely more than 36337.  You need to find out what
the Maximum value of this counter is...

Paul

>>> "Paul C. Williamson" <pwilliamson at mandtbank.com> 12/14/01 03:15PM >>>

It's a common issue...what is the value in MaxBytes?

Paul
>>> "Michael Gudell" <mike.gudell at cpa.state.tx.us> 12/14/01 03:09PM >>>

First, I would like to say I appreciate the work done to make MRTG
available.  I have been using it for over a year and love it.

What I am attempting to do now is monitor the interface errors on my
routers.  I know I am pointing to the correct variable because the value
returned in the log file matches what's returned when I walk the tree.
The problem is the log file is all zeros except for the first line, which
contains the number of errors.  for example:
1008355814 36337 0
1008355814 0 0 0 0
1008355517 0 0 0 0
1008355500 0 0 0 0
1008355200 0 0 0 0

the .old version contains this:
1008355517 36337 0
1008355517 0 0 0 0
1008355214 0 0 0 0
1008355200 0 0 0 0

I realize the count hasn't changed in this example, but the point is
shouldn't the prior values be retained?  Even when the count increases, the
only line with a positive value is the first line.

Here is a portion of my configuration file:

Target[warehouse-errors]: ifInErrors.1&ifOutErrors.1:xxxxx at warehouse
MaxBytes[warehouse-errors]: 1000
Title[warehouse-errors]: warehouse
Options[warehouse-errors]: nopercent
PageTop[warehouse-errors]: <H1>CRC Errors</H1>

It looks like the logfile is new each time, although it is not reporting any
errors like it does the first two times you run it.

All my other stats are working fine, like CPU utilization and traffic in and
out. What am I doing wrong?