[mrtg] Options: unknaszero

bernie dolan bernie at dolanhanson.com
Tue Dec 18 23:09:55 MET 2001

MRTG-2.9.17
I have an interesting situation with unknaszero.
The interface being polled has 5 x E1 interfaces from a PABX which treats each E1 as clear channel so what I end up with is 17.2 Megs per second of traffic on a 32bit counter which rolls every 35 to 40 minutes.
In a 5 minute interval the *.log file shows the in & out deltas only vary a maximum of 800 bytes due the consistency of the traffic from the PABX.

My problem is:
If I DON'T use unknaszero, the traffic is so constant that any outages are missed on the graph as they are already straight lines.
If I DO use unknaszero then every 35->40 minutes the graph shows a sharp dip as turning on unknaszero seems to override the normalization of rolling counters

Any suggestions?
Bernie Dolan